Great content marketers manage distribution processes that ensure their content gets exposed to and consumed by their intended audience.
Among B2B marketers, I typically see two levels of content distribution plans. There are free distribution plans that leverage SEO and social media. Then, there are paid distribution plans that add in paid media.
With a free distribution plan, B2B marketers will typically do some combination of the following:
- SEO optimize their content
- Publish a post or share an update about their content on LinkedIn
- Tweet a link to their content on Twitter
- Post a link to their content on Facebook
- Share a link to their content on Google+
- Pin their content to Pinterest (if the piece has a least one good supporting visual)
With a paid distribution plan, B2B marketers may also use the following:
- Paid search ads to reach audiences by keyword
- A LinkedIn Text Ad to reach a specific target audience
- A hashtag-targeted Promoted Tweet or Lead Generation Card on Twitter to reach audiences interested in specific tags
- Remarketing Lists for Search Ads via AdWords to reach audiences again who have visited their website in the past
- Display ads leveraging targeting data from a data management platform (DMP) and activation via a demand-side platform (DSP). Or, display ads leveraging a partner such as DemandBase for account-based display advertising, LinkedIn for targeting display ads onsite or across exchanges within a professional context, or do-it-yourself display advertising via AdWord’s Display Ad Builder.
- Paid promotion in industry publications
With this list and a little bit of budget, any B2B content marketer with good content should be able to attract the audience they desire.